Andrew Alm & Teleshia Parker, co-chairs
As we move into a new year it is time for the Anti-racism Task Force to reach out into our community and begin the work of relationship building. It is through relationships that we can build a stronger Anti-racism community in Kalamazoo. In December, many of our task force members, along with others from ISAAC attending the ERACCE 2.5 Day Understanding and Analyzing Systemic Racism Workshop. These workshops help our task force and ISAAC have a collective understanding of institutional racism so that we can move forward together with common language and analysis.
To further support the work of Anti-racism in our community, we encourage everyone to attend these upcoming events:
- Controlling the Narrative: A Community Workshop/Discussion on Race, hosted by SHARE & facilitated by Denise Miller – Jan, 20th, 6-8:30 pm, Kalamazoo Public Library (Central)
- 30th Annual Northside Ministerial Alliance Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration with keynote Rev. Dr. E.L. Branch – Sun, Jan. 17, 4:00 pm, Mt Zion Baptist Church, 120 Roberson St., Kalamazoo 49007
- MLK Community Celebration list of events – Mon. Jan.18 and surrounding dates, wmich.edu/mlk
- ERACCE 2.5-day Understanding & Analyzing Systemic Racism Workshop – Feb. 25-27, eracce.org/training/
- YWCA Eliminating Racism Workshop – Apr 16, 8:30am-4:30 pm, ywcakalamazoo.org
The next Anti-racism Task Force meeting will be postponed due to the Leadership Board meeting on Tuesday, January 19. Please call the office for the date and time if you’re not already on the task force email list.