Textbox Section

Facts on the May 2 Millage Renewal – Kalamazoo County Public Schools

On Tuesday, May 2, 2017, voters in Kalamazoo Public Schools and all other districts in Kalamazoo County will be asked to vote on the renewal of a 3-year, 1.5 mill property tax to help continue to fund operations of our schools.


Q: Is this a new millage or a millage increase?

A: No. This is a renewal. Taxpayers will be paying the same millage rate for

this millage as they have paid for the past three years.


Q: What would be the impact to Kalamazoo Public Schools (KPS) if this millage question is defeated?

 A: Kalamazoo Public Schools receives $4.3 million annually from this millage. These funds are budgeted in the district’s operating budget. If these funds are eliminated, budget cuts would be inevitable.


Q: How much would this renewal request cost the taxpayer?

 A: Since it is a renewal, it would not cause an increase in tax rates. Defeat of this proposal would result in a decrease in taxes of $75 annually for the typical homeowner (with a house with a value of $100,000).


Q: This is a millage assessed across all Kalamazoo County school districts in the Kalamazoo Regional Educational Service Agency (KRESA). Does KRESA keep the money?

A: No. The tax revenues are fully distributed by KRESA to the school districts in the county, including KPS, on a per student basis. Each school district receives the same per student amount.


Q: How has the school funding situation changed since 2014?

 A: Local school districts are heavily reliant upon the State of Michigan for funding. In many respects, the state’s funding of local school districts is not much better than it was in 2014.


Q: Who can vote in this election?

A: Any registered voter that resides in a school district within the KRESA service area can vote in this election. This includes all districts in the county: Climax-Scotts, Comstock, Galesburg-Augusta, Gull Lake, Kalamazoo, Parchment, Portage, Schoolcraft and Vicksburg.


Q: When is the last day to register to vote?

A: The last day to register to vote in this election is April 3, 2017.


Q: How can I find out where I vote?

 A: You can find out where you vote by contacting the Clerk’s office in the city or township in which you reside. For KPS voters, these offices are:


City of Kalamazoo  337-8793

Kalamazoo Township  381-8080

Oshtemo Township  216-5224

Texas Township  375-1591


Q: Can I vote by absentee ballot?

A: A person can vote by absentee ballot if he or she:

  • Expects to be absent from the community in which he or she is registered for the entire time the polls are open on Election Day.
  • Is physically unable to attend the polls without the assistance of another.
  • Cannot attend the polls because of the tenets of his or her religion.
  • Has been appointed as an election precinct inspector in a precinct other than the precinct where he or she resides.
  • Is 60 years of age or older.
  • Is confined to jail awaiting arraignment or trial.

Absentee ballots must be requested from the City or Township Clerk where you reside.

Please vote in this election. The polls will be open from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. on Tuesday, May 2, 2017.