Our Housing Task Force keeps growing! And the expertise among our task force members is quite amazing. Members with a deep desire to end homelessness now include professionals from The Ark, CARES, Housing Resources Inc., City of Kalamazoo Dept. of Community Planning & Economic Development, Kalamazoo City Commission, Kalamazoo County Public Housing Commission, Kalamazoo Township Board of Trustees, Latter Rain Outreach, Open Doors Kalamazoo, and Truth Racial Healing & Transformation (TRHT), as well as members of ISAAC congregations.
Our recent work includes:
- Giving input to Rev. Rachel Lonberg, People’s Church Minister and Foundation for Excellence (FFE) Board Member, in response to her request for our ideas about FFE “aspirational funding.”
- Working with Vice Mayor Patrese Griffin to support the Housing Equity ordinance coming before Kalamazoo City Commission soon, that she has championed and that we introduced and advocated at the ISAAC 2018 Public Meeting.
- Getting input on the best ways to renew the “Vote YES for Kids” millage, administered by the Kalamazoo County Housing Commission and run by HRI, which has successfully provided housing and support for families with children in the schools countywide, ever since it won, with our help, in 2015.
- Redefining our partnership with Truth Racial Healing & Transformation (TRHT), which has asked our Housing Task Force to be the “anchor” of their “separation sector” work to end housing segregation in our county.
Please Save this Date: April 28 Community Housing Forum being planned by TRHT & ISAAC.
– Tobi Hanna-Davies & Stephanie Hoffman, Housing Task Force co-chairs