Part of cultivating the Beloved Community that Dr. Martin Luther King preached about means learning the importance of self-transformation within our equity work. That way we may work more effectively to transform systems and institutions. We wanted to send a heartfelt thank you to Rabbi Simone Schicker for an awesome 2-part series: Intro to Judaism for our ISAAC Family. Thank you also to the Temple B’nai Israel Family for their wonderful hospitality.
After the sessions attendees described their experience as: interesting, amazingly delightful, educational, informative, amazing, engaging, delightful, super! Numerous attendees shared how Rabbi Schicker was a wonderful & engaging teacher!
Some learnings from attendees included:
- “I learned a lot that I didn’t know”
- “I think I understand a bit better about Anti-Semitism”
- “History behind many variations of Judaism”
- “Historical commentaries that Rabbis create from interpretation”
- “Learned about the difficulty that Jewish people still have with bias and discrimination”
- “I learned that it’s important to be inclusive of other’s traditions and belief systems when working in groups”
- “Workshops were both informative as well as transformative.”
Next steps from attendees included:
- “I hope to avail myself of the more extensive classes in 2020. I can explore the websites and books Rabbi Schicker provided”
- “I’m thinking about taking the six-week course that is offered at Temple B’nai Israel”
- “I will keep my eyes open for more workshops and classes”
- “Being quiet and listening”
- “Attend a worship service at the Temple “
- “Find more opportunities for community learning instead of solitary learning”
We look forward to keeping you posted on when Temple B’nai Israel and Rabbi Schicker offer the next six-week Intro to Judaism Course.
Elder Doug King and Dr. Charlae Davis